ABOUT PALMYRA, NEW YORK
Palmyra NY Home / About Palmyra NY
Palmyra is a town and village in Wayne County, New York. The population was 7,672 at the 2000 census. The town is named after the ancient city Palmyra in Syria.
The Town of Palmyra is on the south border of the county. The town contains a village also named Palmyra. The town is about 20 miles southeast of Rochester, NY.
Palmyra was part of the Phelps and Gorham Purchase (1788).
The Town of Palmyra, originally called "Swift's Landing" after its founder General John Swift, was created in 1789. The town was also known as "District of Tolland" before adopting its present name in 1796. By 1800, the town's population was about 1000.
The Village of Palmyra, within the Town, was incorporated in 1827.
Village of Palmyra
144 East Main Street
Palmyra, New York 14522
©2018 Town &
Village of Palmyra, NY. All rights reserved.
Contact the Webmaster with questions about this site.